Forum Thread: Fruit Cobbler with Heaps of Dough on Top

Fruit Cobbler with Heaps of Dough on Top

Ok, so, again, not exactly cake-related... but now that spring is coming to a close, and summer is right around the corner, it is officially cobbler season (for me, at least). The farmer's market is full of really great fruit here in California, and i love experimenting with different combinations to get something really delicious. Last week I tried two different kinds:

type 1: blackberries, strawberries, peaches (they aren't quite ready yet this year), raspberries, pears

type 2: pears and blueberries

i think type 1 came out really great, my boyfriend preferred type 2, but he is kind of pear-obsessed.

I think the key is to lay low on the sugar, add lots of fresh lemon juice, and combine sweet and tart fruits. Next I will try peaches and rhubarb (though rhubarb is apparently struggling this year, I've had a hard time getting it).

I have adapted this recipe from Epicurious (it is easy, simple & delicious):

Peach Cobbler

My changes:

I nearly triple the fruit portion, and use a variety of fruits instead of just peaches. I triple the amount of lemon juice. I leave out the sugar entirely for the fruit part. I leave the biscuit topping as is (it is a fantastic recipe), but i double it to get more, since i tripled the fruit portion.

i'd love to hear any suggestions or subtractions/addendums from any of you... or great cobbler recipes you may have.

Happy prime farmer's market season!

Image via Smitten Kitchen.

Daily Tips For Your Phone

Get the Gadget Hacks newsletter for new tips every day.

Be the First to Respond

Share Your Thoughts

• Hot
  • Active